Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Life's Surprises

It has now been almost 2 months since I arrived here in Saipan. I cant believe how fast time is passing by. Now that I am happy, it seems weeks go by in a heartbeat! It is amazing how since I have been here, I dont worry or think about time or what day it is... I know now what people mean when they say "Island Time" :-)

I put in an application at one of the nice resorts here on the island. The Pacific Islands Club Resort or the PIC. I put in for housekeeping. Something that , in helping mom with the houses while I was home, I knew I could do. Though I tend to be more of a people person, I honestly right now just wanted a nice job, in a nice place, that was pretty stable. And that I could kind of come to work, do my job, and get home. I know that might sound terrible, but, dont worry, my train of thought has def changed.

I got a phone call from the secretary of the Executive Director of Housekeeping there for an interview. Of course I was free, and excited so we got it set up for the very next day at 1:45pm. Holy hell was I nervous! I called Jan right away, excited.

So the next day, after prepping myself for a good hour, I headed to my interview. When I drove up, there was a parking spot right there. I was way early, so I called jan again for some moral support. (talking with her has always been the best cure when I need to be calmed down ) :-)

Walking up to the Employee entrance, I started to feel a tad nervous, but confident. That morning, I sat down and had watched the dvd The Secret. AMAZING! If you have never seen it, just WATCH IT! If anything its a good boost of positivity for yourself when you need it. So, I was feeling pretty good. I checked in and was called back. I followed this short local girl down the concrete halls of the resort. Chairs lined the edges and broken lamps sat there waiting to be fixed. She told me to take a seat and she will be with me shortly. Of course I was sweating terribly, being it was so hot down there. She called me into a room and asked me to sit again. So I sat, as straight as possible with my ankles crossed and my pocketbook in my lap. I kept pushing the nerves down the best I could.

Finally I saw a small petite lady come out of the office which sat behind the door I was facing while sitting and waiting. She had on a white polo and khaki pants. She led me inside and closed the door behind us. Now, I was WAY nervous. She seemed to get straight to business. Looking at my application up and down. Asking questions about my experience. She said she liked I had had so much of it. And all of a sudden, as I sat in that chair in that unfamiliar office, telling myself, your getting the job, i want the job, im awesome at what I do.... she began to get comfortable with me. She asked why I was here, told me her story of how she came from hawaii and fell in love with the island here and has been here with PIC for 10 years now.... and we sat and laughed. She even thanked me for allowing her to open up and share with me.

The interview turned more into what felt like employeer/employee meeting one on one. We were laughing and sharing, and she asked me questions about my character and I was giving her the most honest answers... and the best part, was that my most honest answers, sold me! I didnt have to lie... well except to say that Im a tidy person outside of work... though since I have been here I AM! haha

So, she began to tell me about the positions. What a housekeeper there did, all the areas. Laundry, room attendant, and the grounds/common areas. She then told me how there were so many supervisors on staff also.... aaannnnddddd that she was looking for another.......... *cue heart racing like mad NOW* ...... she looked at me... and asked me if I would be interested?! I sat there, looking at her Im sure shocked as hell. SUPERVISOR?! OMG! All I could say was, YES! Of course! haha.... she laughed and said, " I know its going to be a lot of work, and learning, but I know you can do it".....

There comes a time in your life, and hope we all feel it at some point, where you are given WAY more than you expect! I knew that I had started my day rocky, but in changing my thoughts to positive, and happy, and excited about the interview, here I am being told that she "doesnt want to sound biased, but I am the one she wants for the job"!!!!! Of course, she told me that she still had other applicants to interview, but she really seemed like she wanted me for the job!

SO! I WILL GET THE SUPERVISING JOB! That, my friends, is what I will be telling and have been telling myself and the world since that moment. When we were done, she gave me her card, and we laughed a little more and she told me that it should be roughly a week, and if i wanted to see about the progress to give her a call! WOW!

I will tell you now... when I walked out of that room, I think I was 10 feet tall! At least thats how i felt! Passing the next interviewee, and saying bye to the girl who brought me back there, i knew I had the job.

Now, (though I am not going to allow myself to think this anymore after this sentence) If I was NOT to get the supervisor job, or they couldnt afford it (she said that might happen) then, that is ok. I know or think haha that I will def at least get housekeeping room attendant.

*deep breath

* and release.... damn.... it feels good to BELIEVE in myself!

2 comments:

  1. Supervisor?? - way to go Lauren!! :D Crossing my fingers for you big time girl! I'm so happy that things are working out for you over there! Give Jan and Tasi boy my love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.... 3 weeks.... no call.... I even did a follow up. she said she would contact me within a week.... ugh

    ReplyDelete