Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

battle of the flame trees

I began loving photography when I was younger. Started taking pictures of random things and even took a class in it back in 8th grade. It was something that just came so easy to me. Like poetry. It just happens. You know when something is just a part of you. Well, thats how artsy and expressive things are with me. ANYWAYS...

I have been told about this photography contest here on the island. There are these magnificent trees here that literally look like they are on fire from the bright orange and red colored leaves they have year round! here is a picture I took of one in front of Suicide Cliff. This picture is taken at the " Last Command Post" memorial at the bottom of Suicide Cliff. This is the cliff where the Japanese women and their children threw themselves over in WWII. They wanted to keep their pride and honor, so instead of giving up, they were told to do this by their husbands and the japanese soldiers. (two pictures I took below)




Just below Suicide Cliff lies Bonzai Cliff. There is where the soldiers threw themselves over to keep from having to surrender to the US Military. I took the picture below on the cliff looking down on the edge.




So anyway, now knowing about the photo contest, I am on this hunt for the perfect flame tree, and the perfect flame tree picture. I am capturing them all over, so I can put them all together and choose. When I'm driving Im going "look, damn I wish I had my camera" I wonder if I should just buy a camera to keep in the car... could be a good idea haha But I want to try and hope I place somehow! Its going to be hard because I am new and fresh at this, but how cool would that be?! Even Jan is always pushing me to take pictures. The guy who won last years had a beautiful picture, but it gives me the drive to try and do BETTER! I WILL CONQUER!

Saipan is such an amazing place to take pictures. Every turn, I see something, wishing I had my camera with me. I stare at this earth around me here, and wish i could have a photo blog for everything I see. Even the stars at night. Sometimes I just get overloaded with the sights here. One thing I MUST say though, is that I wish the people here would take better care of their Island. Im not sure if its locals, or the people who have moved here, but what a shame to go to these amazong places and find trash everywhere. Even in the neighborhoods. Its just sad.

But needless to say, this place is at the moment, numero uno on my paradise list. :-)

If I had the money, I would bring all of my friends and family here to experience this here with Jan and me. How grand that would be!

1 comment:

  1. YES YOU WILL CONQUER!!!!!YOU ARE A GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER AND SHOULD PUBLISH A BOOK!!!!

    ReplyDelete